After winning her case against a radio DJ she accused of groping her, Taylor Swift has made her first public statement on the sexual-assault that began last week.

Embed from Getty Images

In the statement published late Monday night, the 27-year-old pop star thanked the judge and jury, and announced that she will be donating money to organizations that help survivors of sexual assault in court.

“I want to thank Judge William J. Martinez and the jury for their careful consideration, my attorneys Doug Baldridge, Danielle Foley, Jay Schaudies and Katie Wright for fighting for me and anyone who feels silenced by a sexual assault, and especially anyone who offered their support throughout this four-year ordeal and two-year long trial process,” Swift said in a statement released to multiple media outlets Monday evening.

“I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this,” she continued. “My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.”

Mueller, a former radio jock, groped Swift without her consent underneath her dress during a meet-and-greet in 2013 when she was 23 years old. The jury awarded Swift $1, the amount she sought for Mueller’s assault and battery. She won a symbolic $1 in damages.

Douglas Baldridge, Swift’s lawyer, said that the dollar she asked for in damages is “of immeasurable value.” “It means no means no,” Baldridge said on Monday. “And it tells every woman that they will determine what is tolerated with their body.”

Keep up with the latest trending music news by following us on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram

Comments

comments