It’s been confirmed that Prince’s cause of death is an overdose on strong painkillers.

Amid noisy speculation following Prince’s death that the musical icon was addicted to painkillers, it seems the cause of death is finally revealed. The 57-year old recording artist was found dead in an elevator in his estate on April 21.

Rumors and reports of the “Purple Rain” singer abusing painkillers began spreading as the main cause. Observers and neighbors living near his Minnesota estate spotted him visiting pharmacies on a weekly basis for prescription refills. And despite the fact that those closest to him claim he has advocated clean living practically his entire life, longtime collaborate Sheila E. revelead that Prince had been suffering physical performance issues. Now it’s been confirmed that the singer and guitarist did indeed die of an opioid overdose. Opioid being the clinical term for strong painkiller.

According The Associated Press, law enforcement officials have the test results to back it up. Two weeks prior to his passing, family practitioner Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg had treated Prince twice, admitting he gave him prescriptions, but the medications were not specified. Additionally, California addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfield was called on the task of giving the musician further assistance. He sent his son Andrew on an overnight flight to Prince’s estate carrying buprenorphine, which is used to treat opioid cravings and withdrawal symptoms. He was one of the individuals found next to Prince’s body when officials arrived on the scene.

Following his death, Prince was cremated and a small ceremony consisting of his family and close friends followed at his estate. A Minnesota judge confirms that his death was intestate, meaning that he did not have a will. While many family members were in court attempting to inherit the home, a blood test was given just last week in order to determine the true inheritors. This story is still in development so be sure to check back for more details.


A photo posted by PRINCE LIVE THE BEST (@princelivethebest) on